Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Morning Martini Anyone?

Random Post

I don't know about you, but when I'm studying the absolute silence of the bedroom or kitchen is actually more distracting to me than the rustling papers and whispers of the library. That being said, the library can become distracting, what with opening and closing doors, sudden bursts of laughter, and the pitter-patter of footsteps. My remedy is to listen to music on my headphones.

Choose your music wisely or you'll get carried away by your favorite songs, tunes you haven't heard in ages send you spiraling down memory lane, and that catchy phrase sparks a mouth-a-long... all of which are not very conducive to good studying. Normally, I prefer the soundtracks station on iTunes. Lounge piano and jazz are good, basically any station where you can listen to music without breaking into a distracted sing-a-long.

(On that note, I have recently taken to playing the musicals station when cooking - hilarious selection of Broadway, Off-Broadway, Disney... But be warned. Side effects may include breaking into loud sing-a-long and impromptu dance routines.)

The other day at the library I stumbled upon www.martiniinthemorning.com, which plays a selection of crooner/rat-pack music by various artists. This station provided a great backdrop for studying despite the lyrical ability for reasons I have yet to fathom. It also provided me with about three hours of hilarious entertainment.

Martini in the Morning has a fairly small following. You can go on the website, sign in your name and location, enter a chat room, make requests, and leave comments. I signed in - it was SO worth it!! Not five minutes later the dude said, (I'm paraphrasing slightly):
   "Listening in Derry, Northern Ireland is Samantha Twietmeyer [he even pronounced it correctly!!]. Derry is 35 degrees [F] today and not getting much warmer. Tomorrow's forecast shows a bit of snow."
I was probably the most ecstatic person in the library at that moment!

  The gem that is Martini in the Morning did not stop there. The music was a wonderful selection of rat-pack tunes, from classic original to recent versions.  As the host noted:
   "Martini in the Morning. Where else will you hear Bing Crosby, Pussycat Dolls, and Dean Martin played in a row?"
Yes, he did play those three artists in a row. (The Pussycat Dolls song was a version of Feelin' Good which was surprisingly good and really catchy!)
The host himself spoke a fair bit but he was engaging, sort of conversational a la Vinyl Cafe.

To top it all off I had not only an enjoyable Tuesday afternoon but I also achieved quite a bit of work! 

Needless to say, this station gets my recommendation (I also recommend the Musicals iTunes channel). Martini can be streamed as video or radio or opened and streamed through iTunes. The host described the video feed (of the inside of the station) as: 
   "about as exciting as watching paint dry." (hehe)
But he still recommended you give it a look!

I just had to share my little discovery with the web - give it a listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment