Monday, September 16, 2013

A couple things I was reminded of this morning:

(1) People find exotic women attractive.
(2) Right-wing Americans are ignorant jack-asses.


Proof:

(1) Exotic Women:

Miss America, Nina Davuluri, is a 24-year-old of Indian descent.

Quote: “I’m so happy this organization has embraced diversity...I’m thankful there are children watching at home who can finally relate to a new Miss America.”

This is her:
   
So pretty.

This rule goes for all women as long as they are seen as exotic at the time. As a blonde caucasian I can attest to blending in quite well at a Canada day parade and yet exuding apparently stupefying attractiveness when in various foreign countries; ie: Cuba, Egypt, Italy, Greece, etc.

(2) Right-Wing Ignoramuses:

This was the gist of the twitterverse shortly after she was crowned:

- You have got to be kidding me... We have a black president, now Miss America is an ARAB. Maybe this world is really coming to an end

- Are you serious??!!! The Arab wins??!!! This is miss AMERICA!!! Not miss Arabia!!! Miss Kansas is in the army and is a country girl!!! C'mon

- I thought this was Miss America, not Miss Arab.

- Fox News host Todd Starnes tweeted: "The liberal Miss America judges won't say this - but Miss Kansas lost because she actually represented American values."

This hate is ridiculous. I'll allow for the random idiocy of people with lower IQs who just want to be heard no matter what filth spews from their mouths - but I still can't fathom the success of Fox News when these are their representatives. It really worries me.
 
Mercifully:

Miss Davuluri responded in an interview: “I have to rise above that, I always viewed myself as first and foremost American.” Because she's awesome and a reason to credit the whole Miss America thing with a little bit of class decision-making.

Also, the twitterverse is always brightened by a silver lining in these occasions. The aforementioned ignoramuses were shut down by the more lovely, supportive, and sane side of the internet by late Sunday evening. Proving that while one segment of America has lost their humanity, a much larger segment is helping them find it again.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/16/miss-america-2013-nina-davuluri_n_3933666.html

No comments:

Post a Comment