Thursday, April 2, 2015

Life for a Black person in America, from Chris Rock

Saw this post about Chris Rock's race-relations campaigning and couldn't help but share my favourite take-aways:


There’s like three or four black people in my neighbourhood in Alpine. It’s me, Gary Sheffield, Mary J. Blige, and Patrick Ewing. Hall of Famer, Hall of Famer, greatest R&B singer of all-time, decent comedian. Who lives next to me? What’s the white man next to me? He’s a dentist. He didn’t invent anything. He’s just a dentist.


Just when you let Jackie Robinson in baseball, that doesn’t mean it’s equal. Baseball, statistically, isn’t equal almost until the 70s. And, you know, and why do I say the 70s? ‘Cause that’s when you started to see bad black baseball players. The true, true equality is to be able to suck like the white man. That’s really Martin Luther King’s dream coming true: it’s guys sucking. I watch the Oscars, okay these are the people that made the good movies, what about the people that made the bad movies? That’s most of the industry. I want to be like that. Not that I want to be bad, but I want a license to be bad and come back… and learn.

I also really liked this bit on gendered-race-relations:

The thing the black culture's missing, it's not the comedian thing, somebody will be that guy. The real question is, when are one of these black girls going to get their Streisand on? It's like 'Yo, I'm really about to set it off, I'm writing a movie, I'm directing a movie, I'm star of the movie. I can't wait to meet her. I can't wait to work with her. I can't wait until I meet the female Tyler Perry, that's going to be the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment